Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Filing a Wrongful Death Case in California

There is nothing worse than losing someone you love and care about, but the loss of your loved one may occur because of the actions or inaction of someone else. California allows others to file wrongful death cases that occurred because of the actions or negligence of another person. Though you can file up to two years after that death, you may want more information about how this process works.

Not Just Anyone Can File

The first thing you should know is that not just anyone can file one of these cases. You must have some kind of connection or relationship with that person. These cases usually come about after the parent, spouse, partner or child of the individual files a lawsuit. In some cases, the court will allow other family members to file, including stepchildren or grandparents. A grandmother may file for a child after he or she loses both parents in a car accident.

What Type of Compensation Can You Seek?

California residents have the right to file for both economic and non-economic compensation following the wrongful death of a loved one. You can ask for funds to cover funeral costs, lost wages and any medical bills relating to the injuries sustained in the incident. California also gives plaintiffs the right to ask for compensation for future bills or future earnings the individual may have received.

No comments:

Post a Comment